Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Old Life Has Gone - A New Life Begun

A new beginning, a fresh start is possible for us each day.  We have a new life from Jesus.  But so often we feel as though nothing has changed!

How do I trust God to have given me new life in him?  For I am still anxious and fearful.  Surely these don't reflect the new life.  I still seem the same guy I've always been.  Of course, in many ways that's a good thing!  I don't expect to be anybody other than myself.  But in the way of sin, I do expect to be changed.  What about transformation?

My comfort for what will happen comes entirely from what has happened.  My hope for today and for the future rests in the faith I have in what Jesus has done in the past.  He lived a life with God - proclaiming, healing, drawing constantly on the Lord for his own survival.  He died on a cross and then rose from the grave.  By faith, I believe this death and new life has already taken place within me.  Already, as in today.  Those who are in Christ are a new creation.

The old life still has power somehow.  He's still there - or at least the memory of him is there and maybe that's enough for sin to persist.  But faith believes that Jesus' new resurrection life will be made ours.  We will rise like he did from death.  As the Jeremy Camp song puts it, we will "taste and see the fullness of his peace."  We will know "the healing hand of God."

And while it is harder to believe that this gift is already ours, looking again at our Savior is a great place to start - for it is his peace that is given.  "So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!" (2nd Corinthians 5:17)

Lord, give us new hearts through Jesus to live a magnificent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment