Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I Believe in Jesus...but I Don't Trust Him! (reflection on 10/14 message)

Last Sunday, Kevin talked about the difficulties of trusting God.  He used the text of Psalm 121.  I thought of this text again today when I read an update on an old friend.  He is a musician named Jon Abel.  Like many of us, he had to endure a time when it was difficult to trust God.  I first met him when he became college minister at my home church.  I felt a kinship with him because he liked songwriting and so did I.  He made a CD and it was part of a gift basket that was sent to me while I was a young Christian, studying at college far away.  That gift meant a lot to me, and I was especially excited that the new ministry coordinator and I might have similar music tastes.

I remember meeting with him once.  He bought me lunch and bought me a copy of a great book about staying Christian in college called Blue Like Jazz.  He was a great listener and I remember he cared a lot about nurturing my growth in Christ.  When I became a worship leader for a local ministry, he taught me some songs on the guitar.  He would sing and play often.  And he was quite talented.  At one point, he heard God's call to go into full-time music ministry so he left the college ministry position, but he stayed at the church.  As he released two albums, he found success as the primary writer of the worship song, "Awesome is the Lord Most High" which can be found on one of Chris Tomlin's albums.  I was thrilled for the way God was confirming his call on my former college minister.

We think we can write the story from there.  God's call is confirmed with more and more success in Jon's life.  But, it didn't happen that way at first.  My dad called one day and told me to pray for him.  He had been mowing the lawn and had lost part of his left hand ring finger - a very important finger for guitar playing.  The direction of his new call by God looked very much in doubt.  He had a wife, several children, and he was a guitarist/singer who couldn't play guitar.  (You can meet him through this video. http://hppc.org/mediaarchive#!/swx/pp/media_archives/144529/episode/30684)

That was several years ago.  I read just today that my friend won a music award for co-writing a song that has been receiving a lot of airplay on Christian radio - "My Help Comes from the Lord" by the Museum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecgrJvbk24  He has learned how to play the guitar again and he is back to touring, writing, and recording.

If you listen to the words of the song, you will notice that it draws inspiration from our scripture text this last week.  "I lift my eyes to the hills.  Where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord."

I remember being afraid for my friend and his family when this happened.  But now he has helped to write this powerful song about trusting the Lord when that is a hard thing to do.  Jon already inspired me before the accident.  But I can't deny that he inspires me even more now. 

As Kevin said on Sunday, God will make everything ok...but that does not mean everything is always ok!  Things happen all the time that seem to make absolutely no sense and we ask, "Why, God?"  I think of my friend Jon Abel and am encouraged that God has indeed provided for him and his family.  He has delivered them through a big trial.  And whatever we are going through, the story isn't over yet!  God is busy bringing us to maturity as new creations in Jesus Christ - and Christ went to the cross out of love for us.  He is with us right in the middle of everything and he knows our sorrows better than we do.  He has great plans.  He has watched over my friend, Jon.  Surely this great God watches over you and I as well. 

Reflection Questions:
1) Is there someone you know whose story of trusting God inspires you?
2) How has God proved trustworthy and dependable in your life?
3) Who might benefit from hearing about this good news?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment